Check Out the Local Blues
The Wichita Blues Society has been supporting the blues since 1983. If you have a gig or an event you’d like us to include, please send information to email@example.com as far in advance as possible to ensure it gets posted before the event. NOTE: This is a “community calendar” and not all shows or events listed are sponsored by the Wichita Blues Society.
Your Sponsorship Makes a Difference!
WBS Youth Education Initiatives:
- Free Monthly Youth Jam
- Blues in Schools programs
Here’s More of What We Do...
WBS annual events that shares live music with our community:
- Blues Ball; our annual celebration of the blues, 900 blues fans attended in 2012
- Blues Challenge; winner represent Wichita at the International Blues Challenge in Memphis
- Spring and Fall Blues Crawls; each attended by nearly 700 people in Wichita’s Old Town area
- Monthly open blues jam
- Various monthly WBS events such as, Election Party, Membership Appreciation Party, and Guitar Showdown
WBS supports other arts groups, in 2012 we have:
- Provided a band for the Kansas African American Museum's Blue Valentine event
- Sponsored headliner band at 2012 Wichita River Festival
- Provided a blues musician at Ballet Wichita’s ArtRun
- Sponsored a band at the 2011 Wagonmaster’s Chili Cookoff
- Teamed with Kansas Acoustic Arts Assn. sponsoring five blues acts at the Acoustics in Park summer concert series
- Helped sponsor the 2012 Summer Blues Blast in August
- Provided a music education instructor at Carpenter Place, a youth residential home for girls
Your sponsorship also helps cover the costs of our events so that proceeds can go to our year-round educational activities, programs or workshops, as well as support to other arts groups.
Our music events, held throughout the year, promote an appreciation of the blues, but also enrich our community by providing live music performed by local musicians. Live performances are one of the characteristics of a vibrant community.